Chris Powell joined Romero Park in 2012 after clerking with the firm during law school. He earned his law degree from California Western School of Law, where he served as Editor-in-Chief of the California Western Law Review and graduated magna cum laude.
Chris’ areas of practice include business dispute resolution and sports law (with a focus on athlete representation, premises liability, and co-participants’ liability). Chris has helped his clients resolve a wide range of disputes ranging from a seven-figure breach of fiduciary duty claim to much smaller disputes between family members in closely held businesses. He has also provided counsel to Olympic medalists, World Champions, and elite amateur and professional cyclists.
Outside of the courtroom, Chris is an advocate of preventative lawyering. To protect his clients’ rights and limit their risks, he takes the time to educate and counsel his clients so that they can make informed decisions based on a clear road map towards achieving their goals. In doing so, he has guided numerous small businesses and entrepreneurs through the entire life-cycle of a business: formation, expansion, and ultimately, implementation of an exit strategy.
- Assisted with the successful prosecution of a breach of fiduciary claim against the co-owner of a business that resulted in a seven-figure judgment after a 10-day bench trial.
- Assisted with the successful prosecution of breach of contract and defamation claims against a former employer that resulted in a seven-figure judgment after a week-long arbitration.
- Represented residential tenants in connection with a claim for breach of contract against their landlord. Obtained a favorable settlement involving the client’s purchase of the subject property after successfully halting an eviction action brought by the landlord.
- Represented a prominent bicycle retailer in a dispute with a manufacturer and negotiated a settlement involving the return of significant amounts of inventory.
- Drafted liability waivers for owners and operators of actions sports training facilities and provided counsel regarding operation of such facilities.
- Represented professional athletes in disputes with sponsors and competition promotors.
- Advised professional athletes regarding sponsorship agreements.
- Represented employers against claims brought by former employees for allegedly unpaid wages resulting in dismissal or actions or favorable settlements.
- Represented employee in dispute with former employer regarding wrongful termination and failure to pay wages that resulted in a favorable settlement prior to litigation.
- Routinely files trademark registration applications and advises clients on all matters relating to trademarks.
- Successfully prosecuted claims before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board resulting in cancelation of an abandon trademark.
- Successfully overcame a USPTO Office Action resulting in the registration of a trademark that was initially deemed descriptive.
- Represented a bicycle component manufacturer in a trade dress dispute with one of its competitors and negotiated a settlement involving the competitor ceasing use of the infringing product.
Outside the Office
Prior to entering the practice of law, Chris was a professional mountain biker. His accomplishments include finishing eighth at the 2004 UCI World Championships, finishing third at the 2004 USA Cycling National Championships, and being a member of the prestigious Specialized Factory Racing Team. He was also the equipment manager and mechanic for two members of the 2008 United States BMX Olympic Team.
In his free time, Chris enjoys spending time with his family, taking occasional trips to Big Bear and Mammoth, and riding bicycles with his young son. He is also active in the San Diego cycling community. Most recently, he served as a member of the Pacific Highlands Ranch Community Park Committee where he advocated for San Diego’s first public bike pump track which is set to open in September 2018.
- Business Dispute Resolution
- Trademarks & Copyright
- Real Estate
- Outside General Counsel/Business Advising