Joseph Lunsky joined Romero Park in 2018. An experienced civil litigation attorney and counselor, Joseph focuses his practice on helping individuals and organizations plan for the future and resolve business disputes in smart and cost-effective ways. While working on litigation and transactional matters, Joseph is fully focused on his clients’ near-term and long-term goals. Joseph works closely with his clients to help them avoid litigation, or to craft optimal solutions to disputes that are viable alternatives to trial. When taking a legal dispute to trial is necessary, Joseph is the right attorney for the job, because of his extensive trial experience, unmatched worth ethic, and compelling courtroom presentation skills. Joseph is dedicated to his clients’ best interests and passionate about solving challenging problems.
Joseph is a firm believer in the words of Abraham Lincoln: “…leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today.” Joseph brings a piece of mind to his clients by communicating in a timely and clear way, utilizing his creativity and legal knowledge to provide options to address issues, and by creating a clear roadmap for specific next steps to achieve client’s goals.
Joseph earned his law degree from Willamette University College of Law, where he graduated in the top 27% of his class, and received honors in Trial Practice and an A+ in Evidence. After law school, Joseph earned an LL.M. in Taxation (Master of Laws) from University of Washington.
As part of Joseph’s tax law studies, he acquired knowledge and skills to craft advanced estate planning strategies and to counsel privately-held businesses through the entire life cycle of an organization. In addition, Joseph brings a unique blend of finance, accounting, and technology skills to his business clients. Joseph graduated from University of Iowa with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree, double-majoring in Finance and Management of Information Systems. By working with Joseph, you get a highly trained and experienced lawyer who delivers additional value of being well-versed in finance/accounting, tax law, and technology.
Prior to law school, Joseph had a very successful consulting career at Cerner Corporation, a leader in the healthcare information technology field. Joseph traveled all across the United States working with professionals from diverse backgrounds in helping hospitals transition to delivering safer and more effective patient care with the assistance of electronic medical records systems. Joseph began his Cerner career as an analyst responsible for designing and programming data interfaces between hospitals’ diverse computer systems. Later on, Joseph was promoted to the role of an Integration Architect, where he helped manage large-scale healthcare information systems projects. Joseph has significant experience in working with a broad variety of healthcare delivery professionals and he is familiar with the daily operations of most major hospital departments.
Joseph’s business clients benefit from his information technology consulting work at some of this country’s busiest hospitals, because hospitals are highly complex organizations, both operationally and technologically. Due to his sophisticated healthcare industry consulting and management experience, Joseph brings to his business law clients a unique perspective that enriches his legal advice to successful organizations with high-stakes issues and ambitious goals.
- Represented business clients in landlord and mechanics’ lien foreclosure matters.
- Represented clients in real estate litigation, loan modification, foreclosure, public housing, and landlord/tenant disputes.
- Represented major financial institutions and debt buyers in debt collection matters by achieving beneficial settlements, efficiently procuring money judgments, and collecting on money judgments through garnishments.
- Assisted municipalities with public records requests and evaluated constitutionality of proposed municipal ordinance.
- Assisted clients with probate and estate planning matters.
- Represented clients in diverse/complex family law matters, including divorces involving successful family businesses.
- Represented clients in Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Reached a beneficial settlement, on behalf of a client, in a tax controversy matter with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Completed a civil arbitration matter where debtor-client received a beneficial ruling involving a significantly smaller money judgment.
Sample Reported Appellate Case
AOL, Inc. v. Washington State Department of Revenue, BTA Docket No. 11-076 (2012).
During his clerkship at the Washington Board of Tax Appeals, Joseph wrote a bench memorandum and a draft opinion on complex excise tax issues related to business activities of an internet service provider.
Outside the Office
In his free time, Joseph enjoys being active in the great outdoors, volunteering, and visiting national parks. Joseph particularly enjoys hiking, tennis, racquetball, cycling, swimming, white-water rafting, cooking, live music, theater, symphony, practicing yoga, and exploring the local arts and culinary scene. Joseph was born in Belarus and grew up in Riga, Latvia and Des Moines, Iowa. Joseph speaks fluent Russian.
- Business Disputes
- Estate Planning
- Business Advising
- Intellectual Property Licensing
- Real Estate